Kopfsteinpflaster

The only German word I learned. It means Cobblestone. What?

After my parents left Heather and I were gone the next day to Munich, Germany!  This was the start of our spring break .. which is actually summer .. but whatever.  We are going to Munich, then over to Switzerland, then down and throughout Italy for about a week.  Currently I am sitting on a train through the mountains to Interlaken.

Germany was absolutely incredible!  We didn’t really know what we were going to do or why we were going there, but figured we should probably see Germany sometime.  It was amazing.  We got there in the afternoon and checked into our hostel, which was complete with a little indoor garden/relaxing area and a bar.  Pretty cool.  We dropped our stuff off in the room and headed out to check out the city.  Walking around, it kind of reminded me a lot of Prague, which is not a bad thing because I loved Prague.  There is a city center with a huge church that looks just like the one in Pragues Old Town Square.  Lots of shopping too!  We went walking and then found the Haufbrauhaus, which we’ve always heard you have to visit!  It didn’t take more than 5 minutes to be there to have someone come up to us.  This boy came up to us speaking slow and loud English saying “I AM FROM AMERICA” … he had to have felt pretty dumb when we told him we were too .. anyways he invited us over to his table for a beer and of course we’ll take a free drink any day.  Apparently he was some professional snowboarder or trying to be professional snowboard .. and we got into one of his videos to promote some stuff to get him sponsored.  Hahah it was prettttty weird.  But we got some free drinks which you can never complain about .. and these drinks were HUGE.  The glasses are bigger than my head, and I’m not exaggerating.  It was one of the coolest things, I loved it!  A young couple sat down at the table with us and they started talking to Heather and I while we were sitting with everyone.  They are both in the air force, she’s stationed in Germany and he just got back from Afghanistan which is just ureal .. he’s also living in Oklahoma City (where Heather lives) which is crazy!  For some reason we always tend to run into people who live where we do .. it’s great.  They were both SO nice though – probably sein ome of my favorite people I have met since I’ve been in Europe.  The four of us hung out for a few hours, chatting with other people, taking pictures, etc. etc.  We met an enormous group of Italians who were going out so we started walking around with them for a while, then realized we weren’t going anywhere and Heather and I ran off to get back to our hostel.  We stopped at the bar at our hostel for a quick drink and talked with the few people who were there, but the bar was closing soon so we weren’t there long.  We met some more great people though from Canada, Cali, Australia, etc.

Image

ImageNot surprised


Image


Hofbrauhaus!


Image


Image


Image


Image


My future ADORABLE Germany baby


 

The next morning we woke up later than we wanted, but clearly we needed sleep so it was alright.  We went back to Haufbrauhaus to get our brothers some souvenirs, and then got on the train to go to Dachau, the first concentration camp that was built.  We walked through the main area, the sleeping quarters, the churches, memorial, and crematorium.  It was crazy to be there, especially after learning so much about it.  The place was so big and just felt empty.  It was weird.  But everything was so interesting and I’m so glad that we were able to see that.  I’ve always wanted to visit a concentration camp but never though I’d actually get the chance.

 

Image

Image

Image

Image


Image


Image


Image


After the camp we went back to our hostel and stopped into the bar.  We met a couple guys who had just finished med school and law school … CRAZY smart!  We all went out to another beer hall near our hostel for a couple drinks, but ended up back at the hostel bar.  Heather and I wandered off and talked to a couple of friends we met from the night before and even met some that are living in London too!  The bar closed not too long after we got there again so we went into the little garden area and just all hung out until they kicked us out.  But everyone was so funny and so nice and it was just a completely perfect trip.  I loved Munich SO much more than I thought I would!  Definitely one of my favorite trips so far.

So now we are on our train to Interaken, Switzerland, and the view of the mountains and villages are just incredible.  I have been wanting to visit this place for a long time so I’m very excited!  I’m thinking about going paragliding tomorrow too, but we’ll see!

Instagram

Where The Heart Is - An American in the UK. Theme by STS.